The maddening success of the brown ale brownie might as well be followed by this one.
Brown ale ice cream with salty caramel and honeyed peanuts
For the brown ale ice cream:
- 60 ml butter
- 250 g brown ale
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 g brown cane sugar
- 240 ml milk
- 330 ml whipping cream
For the salty caramel sauce:
- 120 g butter
- 240 g sugar
- 200 ml milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- Honeyed peanuts, roughly chopped
1. Brown the butter for the ice cream.
2. Boil the brown ale and cook it to syrup-like consistency.
3. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, add the milk and cook the mixture over a bain-marie whisking constantly for 10-15 minutes until it thickens. Add the browned butter and the ale syrup as well. Put it in the fridge and let it cool completely.
4. Whip the whipping cream and fold it into the custard, then pour it into the ice cream maker.
5. For the salty caramel sauce caramelize the sugar on the butter, then add the hot milk and stir it until the sauce becomes smooth.
6. Serve the ice cream with the salty caramel sauce and honeyed peanuts on top.