I don’t know how it is in your country, but in Hungary it is trendy to bake cakes with vegetables. Everyone uses carrot (it’s nothing special, isn’t it?), avocado and zucchini (that’s a little more interesting, though). But I wanted to do something really crazy! What about baking with tomatoes!? Anyway, we use cinnamon to season foods containing tomatoes to make them sweeter. So it must work! And I tell you that it really worked!
Tomato-Cocoa Bundt Cake
- 120 g flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 12 g baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 165 g sugar
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml mashed tomatoes (passata)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Butter and flour (for the Bundt pan)
For the glaze:
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Orange liqueur or orange juice (to your taste)
- Stir all the ingredients with a food processor, then add the tomatoes, and mix it well.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Butter the Bundt pan, and then sprinkle it with flour. Pour the batter into the pan and bake it for 1 hour.
- Mix the confectioner’s sugar with the juice or liqueur to get a thick but pourable glaze and pour it on the baked Bundt cake.